The Retreat in Progress

Friday, January 29, 2016

Pathways and Entryways into a Mysterious, Magical Island

On the Garden Bloggers' Fling in June of 2015, one of the excursions the Flingers flung to was to Ward's Island, a 15 minute ferry ride from the big city of Toronto. 

Prior to the Fling, I had no preconceived ideas or expectations of the gardens or excursions I would experience as I didn't research the area like I usually do when I go on vacation.  The Fling was pre-planned, transportation to the gardens and other excursions was taken care of, and the itinerary was planned.  I was in heaven.  I didn't have to do anything other than eat my breakfast, get my coffee, and hop on the bus!

One of the excursions was to Ward's Island.  I had no clue what to expect or what sights I would see.  Ward's Island reminded me of something out of a movie scene.  Charming yet mysterious.  Cottagey yet woodland. The homes nestled within the island all had their own style and vibe, but one thing they all seemed to have in common was that this was the place to enjoy home and garden, not be rushed, and relax.

I could have taken hundreds of photos, but knew that would overwhelm me, so I tried to focus on a few themes such as pathways and entryways. 



Come experience Ward's Island with me.

  



What a beautiful view from your front yard to the city of Toronto.




Charming cottage garden pathway that leads your eye and your curiosity to what's around the corner.








The path leads to a lending library and other sundries of Ward's Island residents.




Poppies that remind me of crepe paper flowers from San Antonio flank the pathways.




A unique shaped treehouse provides a focal point in this resident's front yard.




The calm of the water and sailboats is picturesque.




A small pathway that leads to a relaxing sitting area on the left or a cottage on the right.  You decide.




Beautiful Bleeding Heart.




Beautiful Pale Pink Peony. I wish we could grow these in the Austin area.


6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry I missed that day but I love seeing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you missed it too, but glad you got to catch up with us.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful, ethereal view into the island life. That was a magical place, wasn't it? I enjoyed that day very much, and the gardens were so quaint and full of personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautiful and magical...kind of mysterious though. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. I loved the island gardens. I especially liked how quirky they all were. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my favorite place. Quirky is right.

      Delete

I would love for you to leave me a comment...Rebecca