The Retreat in Progress

Monday, May 15, 2017

Bee Balm

Another stunning beauty in my yard this spring is Bee Balm (Monarda). 


I believe I inherited this pass along plant from Linda who blogs at Patchwork Garden http://patchworkgarden.blogspot.com/  When she gave me the plant in October, it had no bloom and was just a spindly little thing.  I had no idea it would grow to almost five feet tall and have the most beautiful pinkish purplish color.  I don't even know what color this is.  Fuchsia?


If I were to name this plant, I might call it Bee, Butterfly, and Hummingbird Balm because it has so many other visitors besides just bees.  And, the deer don't bother it.  I definitely need more of this gem!


















4 comments:

  1. This is such a great plant! Even though it blooms only once per year, it is a star attraction in May. It spreads pretty fast so there is always divisions to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the common names of this plant is Bee Balm. I would imagine you know by now it is Mondarda. There are so many different colors of the blooms I couldn't begin to tell you which one it is. It is a great plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      Yes, I believe this particular bee balm is Peter's Purple. It's magnificent. I hate to see the blooms fading away.

      Delete

I would love for you to leave me a comment...Rebecca